25 June 2010

Recipe: The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies

It has been important to me since I got married to make as many things from scratch that was possible or that time would allow. We grew up having desserts that were make from mixes: cake mixes, cookie mixes, Jello, or pudding mix. I'm not complaining that they weren't good, but as a child I assumed there was just no other way. My grandmother used to read Panda Cake to me all the time when I was little. It's about a mother panda who sends her two panda sons out to gather all the ingredients for a panda cake and how the boys obtain all the ingredients for this very special cake. I daydreamed about many homemade desserts because of this book.

I know I came across this recipe on tastespotting, but I don't remember the blog. I had tried about 20 different chocolate chip cookies recipes before I stumbled across this one. I was very determined to find the perfect recipe for me. The reason I love these cookies so much is because they are crunchy and gooey at the same time. So to me they are the perfect chocolate chip cookies. Another great thing about the recipe is that you can make as few cookies as you'd like at a time and stick the dough back in the fridge and it will keep a day or two.

1 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 stick of unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup of dark chocolate chips

1. Whisk flour, salt and baking soda together. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, beat the butter for about a minute. Then add the sugars and beat for another two minutes until well-blended and creamy. Beat in the vanilla.
3. Add in the egg.
4. At the mixer's lowest setting, add flour mixture a little at a time until all incorporated.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips. Reserve a handful for later. Refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes.
6. On a lined baking sheet with parchment paper, spoon rounded tablespoons of cookie dough on sheet.
7. Bake them in preheated oven 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
8. Turn half way and let cool.

No comments: